Thursday, August 1, 2013

It Begins



Image © ussoccer.com | http://www.ussoccer.com/coaches/licenses.aspx 
Tonight begins a big step forward into my journey as a coach: I begin my C-Course Certification classes. Based on what I hear from other C-Course candidates as well as from experiencing first hand the exhaustion level shown by my dad when he was taking the course, I have no easy task in front of me. I will try to document this experience here when I can and based on what I'm allowed to share.

So far I'm impressed with what I've learned just from the pre-course material, some USSF Best Practices as well as an expanded version of principles of play and Methods of Coaching. There is one pre-course activity which has me a little concerned, and it's always been my weakness: reading the live game.

We're watching the USA v Guatemala U17 match and analyzing it as a pre-course activity. We have to answer questions about team attacking and defending, group and individual roles, which principles of attack/defense were demonstrated and how, etc. What I realized, already knew but finally came to the crushing understanding of, is that this is the end of my ability to simply enjoy watching a soccer match. Even when I'm in the stands or sitting on the couch I will always be analyzing live games after this course. 

After I took my video production classes, there was a period of time where I was not able to enjoy movies or video productions because I was always looking at the production quality and analyzing what I would have done to make it better. The same is true with Architecture and design; I simply can't look at a building or space without scrutiny. Eventually I was able to turn off my video production analyzing and enjoy movies and critically discuss them afterwards if needed. However, I haven't been relied upon for my abilities to produce a video production in a long, long time. Without being certain in my future of coaching soccer I can't be certain that I'll ever be able to watch another match without leaning in and trying to find that principle of attack or defense a team is using. If it's any consolation, I am comfortable with this simply because I enjoy that aspect of anything I get into: the continual analysis of the game and improvement. Looking for that one unique way to give that edge to my players over their opponents.

So farewell enjoyment of watching the match. Hopefully I'll see you again sometime in the near future. Until then, teach me as much as you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment