Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lesson plans, busy weekends and shooting from your hips.

Today's schedule:

8am - Field work day (volunteering to help at the game fields, netting goals, painting trashcans, etc.)
10am - U9 practice
11am - U6 Practice
1-4pm - Club day at the local sporting good's store
... busy day. And I began failing to be prepared about a week ago when I decided I could wing my first couple of practices. There is only one difference you notice between practices with lesson plans and practices without them. One is smooth, practical and flowing. The other just ends up in a scrimmage because everyone [including yourself] is unprepared, confused and running around like a headless chicken.

Lesson learned, again. I knew how it would end up; but hey, I have a D License, I can wing a practice or two, right?... no. Still need more practice before I can do that.

I did however have a moment of brilliance with my U6 team. We did some dribbling. Reinforced a couple of moves like the pullback. Worked on control by dribbling through gates. Then, due to weather, wrapped up with a scrimmage. Made a couple of good coaching points during the scrimmage and made sure to stop the scrimmage at a tie.

My certification instructor made a point I think I will continue practicing. Always finish with a shooting activity. PKs work great for a scrimmage that ends in a tie. The kids were having a bit of trouble finishing the ball in the 4' PUGS. So to demonstrate keeping their hips pointing at the goal I instinctively put my hands at my hips... and then it came to me.

"Look, put your hands at your hips, like guns, and point your guns at the goal" BAM! They were immediately on board with me. The first practice swing I asked him to look where his gun was pointing... way left of the goal. "Try again, keep your guns pointing at the goal this time... nice, one more time. Excellent, go score a goal, keep your guns pointed at the goal." Guess where the ball went. In the goal. Repeated this with another player. In the goal.

I think we have a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment